Way back in February, I wrote a post on how I felt about my body since the birth of my daughter. In that post I listed 12 things I was going to do to improve both my body and my mindset about it. I even did a follow up post in April sharing my progress and promising to check in monthly. Since then? Silence. Crickets. Sorry about that.
I was planning to post again in mid-May, and it’s now mid-July, so it’s been closer to 90 days. Life got in the way. The important thing is I’m back on the wagon. You can probably guess that my weight loss/fitness journey pretty much stagnated, but I just did my measurements and I’ve still lost another 1.3kg and a total of 9.5cm (thank you breastfeeding!). It’s not an amazing result (it’s a little less than I did in one month of solid effort previously), but it’s progress. And those 12 things I was going to do regularly? Well:
- Stop weighing myself constantly. Take measurements instead and check them a maximum of once a week. Result: Nope, I weigh myself constantly. Maybe that’s just who I am!
- Have a remedial massage at least once a month. Result: This is actually happening!
- Drink more water – aim for a minimum of 2 litres a day. Result: I’m not sure on exactly how much, but I am drinking a lot more water now I’m back at work part-time. The benefit of a desk job is a big jug of water constantly on my desk.
- Go for a long walk (45 minutes +) at least 3 times a week. Result: I don’t specifically go out for a walk, but I do walk to and from work 3 times a week (about 25 mins each way), so I guess I am actually doing this by default.
- In addition to walking, do two ‘proper’ workouts a week. Result: I’ve rejoined the gym and am trying to go during my lunch breaks when I’m at work. I am averaging 2 days a week, so it’s a tick for this one.
- Get out of the house each day to get some fresh air and sunshine. Result: Success! It’s a rare day I don’t do this.
- Eat more vegetables. Result: I probably need to quantify this more, but even without doing that I know I definitely don’t eat enough vegetables. Fail.
- Take all of my vitamins Result: I’m still terrible at this one – all the more reason to eat well!
- Use at least one of my daughter’s naps to do something for me (not chores). Result: Since I’m back at work now, this doesn’t happen. The days I have off I’m desperately trying to do chores when I can! To be honest I should probably scratch this one.
- Ten minutes of stretching per day Result: I completely forgot I even made this a goal…
- Limit takeaway/dining out to three times a week. Result: I probably get takeaway once a week and eat out at a café once on a weekend. Room for improvement.
- Banish negative self-talk. Result: I don’t think it’s possible to be completely successful at this goal, but it’s here to remind myself to try.
For the next month, I probably need to work on going to the gym regularly, and eating much better than I do currently. Some more sleep would be wonderful too, but unfortunately it’s my daughter that dictates that!
I’ll to check in mid-August with another update. Promise!
Are you currently on a health journey? Do you have any great tips? Let me know by leaving a comment below!
Liked this post? Follow me on social media to make sure you never miss a post (links in right hand column). You can also sign up to my monthly email AND receive my free ebook – just enter your email address below: